Monday 13 December 2021

Tis a slow recovery...

      I have to admit at becoming rather frustrated at my recovery rate after t' snap. But then again I might only have myself to blame, being impatient and wanting to get back to living instead of mopsing around. We had a blocked outside drain t'other week which had been overflowing every time we showered, bathed or used one of the kitchen cleaning appliances. It was becoming worse, flooding the yard, and, as I was concerned about possible health issues that may arise I decided to clear the bugger myself. After all my shoulder wasn't feeling too bad and of course I would work slowly and carefully, oh the greatest plans of mice and men (m'thinks you already know where this is going!).

     So against my better judgement (actually against any grain of common sense I might have once possessed) I proceeded to clear the offending 'grey water' drain only to find the nearby 'run off' drain was also blocked. A couple of painful hours later found me shattered and prone upon the sofa thinking "well that was a crap idea", as my clavicle throbbed and the pain killers were having little effect, bugger! So two hours of manly stupidity has probably set me back a couple or so more weeks which is not ideal when there are not two pennies rubbing together in my pocket, ho hum at least the drains are clear and flowing freely.

     So that was t'other week and yesterday was the first time that I actually felt like stretching my stumpy little legs for a short walk since the snap. Hell, just half an hour's walk found me back home, sweating profusely and absolutely bloody knackered. But mentally oh what a difference it made, if I could have taken another step it would most certainly contained a spring within it m'thinks. I had just about forgotten the mental health benefits of simply walking in the countryside and the easing of a troubled mind that it brings. Over a decade ago I used to walk seriously, a fifteen mile daily walk on the welsh hills (yes daily) became a normal stroll for me and longer walks on seldom visited paths became the norm over the weekends. Yesterday's walk, as well as reminding me of the mental health benefits of such exercise served to show how easily it is to lose ones fitness levels (and for moi, pile on the pounds since the snap). 

    So today, being the brave little soldier that I am, I set off to repeat yesterday's short walk, yep same knackering result plus the addition of aggravating the tendon that attaches to my tibia by the knee joint causing excessive limping and a dull ache to rival my shoulder pain, oh the joy (damaged both of these tendons chasing my van down a hill a couple of weeks before the snap, after I forgot to apply the handbrake, but that's another story). So here I now sit at my keyboard bemoaning my physical decay and smelling like a chemist as I am swathed in gel to ease the aches and pains. But once again mentally I am feeling so much better, and this is the only incentive that I need to tackle the very same short route tomorrow.

     There was a reason for today's particular route, I had previously agreed to 'baby sit' a neighbour's Jack Russel (tis a mutually beneficial arrangement with Bramble spending time there when we are on our trips to Londonium). So this is the little tyke that I picked up at the halfway point of the walk...

Milo
     
    He is a cracking little bugger, full of the spirit that is so typical of the breed, and fortunately Bramble gets on with him like a house on fire...



     As to the walk, it was very uneventful under a grey sky but at least I finally observed a little of the destruction wrought by the latest storms...



     Apparently the lower fallen tree blocked the road for several days as the local council and Scottish power (yes I am still here in Wales) argued the toss over whose responsibility it was to remove it due to its close proximity to overhead power lines. I was sorely tempted to fire the trusty van up and pay a visit once the evening's light had gone, pretty pointless though as both trees were pine so not good for the log burner, yes my shoulder would be even more knackered and finally (and the deciding factor if I am honest) G would have probably .. ahem.. sorry, G would certainly have had something to say if she had caught me reverting back to my pirating days!

     And that is about that for this post other to say that I now know my resolutions for the New Year which are being determined to increase my fitness levels, decrease my recently gained poundage and finally, most definitely not get caught pirating by G.

20 comments:

  1. Great job on getting out today also to walk. I need to do the same thing. Maybe I should make that my new year resolution too, or at least one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda, yep walking is good for the soul but not for my knee!

      Delete
  2. John, what I have discovered - painfully - is that my own recovery tends take what my medical expert says it will take, not what I think it will take. It never works out well when I do it on my own.

    Good on you for walking! I almost always find that walking will do work wonders on my mood - and like you, I am surprised that I have somehow seem to have lost the time to do it. (And the extra poundage loss is a bonus).

    The new little friend looks very cute indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh but listening to medical experts is often overridden by listening to the voices within your head, usually with painful consequence as you say TB.

      Milo is indeed a star and always welcome though Bramble being a Spaniel is always secretly happy when he goes as then she has us all to herself once more.

      Delete
  3. I hope you find yourself getting out more regularly whenever you feel up to it. I too enjoy the mental and physical benefits of a good walk on the fells.
    My two old terriers were great walkers. Your new friend looks a lot of fun. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules, always a catch though as my knee is now playing up, probably due to the extra poundage ho hum

      Delete
  4. Every bit of outside daylight is really good for making the black hole disappear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree more Sue, and after this month's twenty first day the daylight starts making its comeback.

      Delete
  5. Not an Aries by any chance are you John? I think your mind and mind have the same saft ideas - which seem good at the time, not so in retrospect!

    I am so glad you are back to walking again and I totally agree about it's benefits to mind and body (though the latter will protest mightily at first). I haven't done much more than my very slow daily walk with Keith recently, but there are two shortish local walks I want to try so will drag Eldest Daughter out this week I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even worse than an Aries m'dear, I am on the cusp between a Taurian and an Aquarian!

      Delete
  6. Oh, am I just like you. I walk the yard and see so much that needs to be done and after about 2 hours, Katherine gives me a choice, rest or be beaten into submission. German that I am, I've learned that, well you know "Happy wife, happy life". But I do tend to sneak out when she's not looking. Pine, no good in the wood stove. I used it when we lived up the hill, but had to clean the flue (which meant going up on the roof with the flue brush) about every 3 weeks. Could never do that now. Although it would be hard to resist those already cut rounds just laying there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is good thing that we share the same type of partners that will 'beat us into submission' when we push our physical boundaries Mark. But then again it does feel good to get away with something under their radar does it not?

      Delete
  7. Hello John, so good to find your bloggy. The Ned Stark banner is inspired ... I can just imagine Sean Bean's voice saying those words! :0 Hilarious :) ;) :) Jack Russels are so incredibly cheeky. The dogs look like they're having a wail of a time. I myself like a good healthy walk to the pasty shop. Please take it easy with the chores, there's a reason pirates have peg legs! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and a warm welcome Lulu, nice to have you onboard m'dear. I always think that Jack Russels are big dogs trapped inside little bodies. Your comments here and your welcome upon your own wonderful blog could not help but put a smile upon my usually stoic, aka grumpy exterior, m'thinks we shall get on famously.

      Delete
  8. Walking is brilliant for mental health but so is gardening. Do you have a tiny yard? It could be stunning for very little money. Grow edible flowers in pots and enjoy them for two reasons. They look stunning in salads and brighten up a tiny space no end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed walking, especially out in the countryside lifts the spirits incredibly well. Our yard is extremely tiny but we also have a small garden as well, though the term garden is perhaps stretching it a little at the moment m'dear.

      Delete
  9. Well done on clearing the drains, John, I can understand why you felt you had to do it but so sorry to hear the work took its toll on you. The last couple of years have taken their toll on my fitness levels too. Lockdown meant little exercise so losing muscle tone was inevitable. It's not so easy to recuperate at 72 years old and with the new Omicron variant things are not looking hopeful 🙄 Enjoy your walks my friend but listen to George and don't overdo it! We will soon be marching towards Spring and all the pleasure it brings. Take care my dear 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PP, Spring is not that far away m'dear and it is only a few more days before the nights start becoming shorter.
      What I have lost in muscle mass has been replaced with lard mass, though slowly turning the corner now that I am walking a little bit, like the words 'small steps'.
      Tis difficult to hold back when there is so much to do but George manages to keep a reign upon me, well most of the time.

      Delete
  10. Awwwwww how cute is Bramble in those photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would tell her, but you know all too well it'll go to her head m'dear

      Delete