Tuesday 21 December 2021

The shortest day...

      Well thank the Northern Gods that I have made it once again to the shortest day of the year! On top of all my other instabilities I am damn sure that I suffer from seasonal adjustment disorder (SAD, quite apt). It affected me mostly during those happy years that I spent toiling away in factories with not a window to glance through at the outside world. I would travel to work in the dark and then travel home in the dark at this time of year, not really suitable for an outdoor loving caveman like myself. These days SAD has much less a hold upon my mental condition as it did in those oil and grease covered days, as my working day is spent primarily outside. Even when poor weather dictates that gardening is 'off', I can spend time in the Orc's Workshop with the main door open allowing the short day's light come in. The only problem with having this door open though is that passing neighbours will just 'drop in' for a chat which, although is fine, means that I am distracted from my work.

     Tis been a tad different this year because of the bloody 'snap' and I have yet to be able to work outdoors nor in the workshop due to the slower than desired healing of my bones and I can feel the effects of SAD bearing down on my mind, compounding everything else that is peeing me off at the moment through not being able to work, money worries, frustration born of not being 'the provider', inactivity, weight gain, feeling more aches than I care to mention, disrupted eating and sleep patterns and the list goes on. It all takes it toil on one's mental health yet somehow I am getting through it, albeit with good days and bloody awful days. 

     But enough of the doom and gloom, though hopefully talking about my mental health helps others, tis the shortest day of the year and after today daylight starts extending its time with us pushing the hours of darkest back a tad every day. Before long the days will be that long I might even have time to do everything on the lists (though I am damn certain that the 'lists' just reproduce faster in the the longer days!), broken bone allowing. 

     I quite happily admit that today is probably  definitely my favourite day of the year, Birthdays? just another bloody reminder that I am getting older, Christmas day? bah humbug just a waste of money and anyways it's not even that usurpers proper birthdate, New years day? again another year older and stupid resolutions that just don't last (especially the one about not swearing), Valentine's day c'mon really? I am a bloody caveman after all! I think that you may just about be getting the picture by now. No, today is most definitely the best day of the other three hundred and sixty four and a bit days for me. 

     I always feel so positive when I have managed to get this far through the year, each lengthened day just lifts my heart and soul that little bit more and its a good feeling to have so I give a little nod to the Northern Gods for letting me through to this part of the year. 

     Not to sure if I shall post again before Christmas as daughter and son in law are due up tomorrow evening for a stay over the festive time (Omicron allowing) and I may be far to busy quaffing ale, extending my girth and generally just basking in the sheer pleasure of a proper family Christmas, although if you mention I said that I will, of course deny it. So I shall take the opportunity now to thank one and all of you who have visited here, followed my ramblings and have taken the time to comment upon them. 



     Wishing you all the very merriest of Christmases and an absolutely wonderful and bountiful New Year. 

     With much love,

      John the Caveman

11 comments:

  1. Have a good time hopefully with your family and know that you are an example to all of us struggling with issues. If you can keep going all of us can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica, have a lovely festive season m'dear.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Yule and Merry Christmas and may we all have a Happy, Healthy New Year!! Hope you heal quickly and get your strength back to do all the things you want and need to do. Take Care. Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. And a very Happy Bah Humbug Christmas to you too!
    It's just good to see you back in blogland and the way the days fly by it will soon be New Year and spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right back at you. See you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A line that appears in the director's cut of Game of Thrones -

    Ned Stark: 'As we stand here now before the Weirwood, in the heart of the Godswood, our direwolves at our side, we thank the gods that although for many years we thought winter was coming, it is indeed now going. Let's go celebrate with a shandgaff and pork pie'.

    You and you family have a wonderful Christmas John :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful Christmas John. I too love this day and will now look forward to Spring. It will be here before we know it. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas, John. Spring will soon be upon us. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. John, I had not thought of the Winter Solstice in that light, but it does indeed work.

    A most Merry Christmas and festive Yule to you and yours, Sir. I look forward to what happens in your life next year with joy.

    Your Obedient Servant, Toirdhealbheach Beucail

    ReplyDelete